Our local Health Unit is reminding people of the importance of properly cooked food in barbecue season. One in eight Canadians are estimated to get sick from foodborne illness in any given year.
Manager of Environmental Health, Richard Ovcharovich says raw or undercooked barbecued meat can have bacteria or salmonella. The health unit is advising residents to thaw food in the refrigerator, use a meat thermometer when cooking and do not leave foods at room temperature for more than two hours.
For more on barbecue food safety, go to the HKPR website.