Haliburton Highlands OPP is using a new license plate recognition tool and they’ve already had success. It’s a new cruiser full of external cameras that automatically scan and check license plates and notifies the officer when there’s a positive hit.
Last week, two drivers were pulled over as a result, and one 54 year-old Highlands East resident is facing six charges:
- Driving a Motor Vehicle without a license
- Using plates not authorized for the vehicle
- Operating a motor vehicle without insurance
- Impaired driving
- Operating a vehicle with over 80 mgs
- Possession of contraband cigarettes
The new cruiser will rotate throughout OPP Central Region detachments.