The Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit (HKPR) has declared the outbreak at the Highland Wood Long-Term Care Home in Dysart et al over.

The outbreak was declared on March 16th after two staff members tested positive. Haliburton Highlands Health Services (HHHS) explains that the staff members were reswabbed on Wednesday and tested negative for the virus.

At the time, HHHS CEO Carolyn Plummer said they were taking a cautious approach. “Currently the HKPR is in the “yellow –protect zone” and typically this determines that a second COVID-19 test is required to confirm results of the first positive test,” she explained earlier this week. “Since we are experiencing an increase of COVID-19 activity in our community, HKPRDU and Highland Wood are acting cautiously and declaring an outbreak right away rather than waiting to receive confirmative test results for the staff members affected.”

While the two staff members did test negative, HHHS says they are still being asked to self-isolate for the next two weeks. Screening is also being increased at the home for staff and essential caregivers, but residents are now able to resume physically-distant activities.