Haliburton Highlands OPP is reminding residents that no ice is safe ice.
Police say to exercise extreme caution around any body of water with ice on it. According to officials, venturing out onto ice puts not only your life at risk, but the life of anyone that comes to your aid, such as first responders.
If you do go out on the ice, the OPP says:
- wear appropriate clothing to prevent hypothermia,
- keep your phone fully charged, and have your location available via the what3words app,
- tell someone where you’re going and when you plan to come back,
- never go out alone,
- avoid unfamiliar areas at night,
- carry safety equipment such as ice picks and throw ropes,
- never go out impaired.
For more information, visit the Lifesaving Society’s website.