News CO alarms now mandatory in every home SHARE ON: Melissa Candelaria, contributor, Monday, Apr. 13th, 2015 Get yourself a carbon monoxide alarm if you haven’t got one already. You will soon be bound by law to have one in your home. Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Prevention Officer Mike Vadlja says it will be mandatory as of Wednesday. //www.myhaliburtonnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/co1.mp3 Fuel-burning appliances include things like furnaces, hot water heaters or barbecues. Vadlja says places with six suites or less like homes, bed and breakfasts or small hotels are the ones that have until Wednesday, while others have a bit more time. //www.myhaliburtonnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/co2.mp3 Vadlja says they will be starting random checks. //www.myhaliburtonnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/co3.mp3 Anyone without properly installed CO alarms could get a $360 fine or more depending on the severity of the infraction. More than 80 per cent of CO injuries or death across Ontario happens in the home.