News Haliburton County under total fire ban SHARE ON: Martin Halek, staff Thursday, May. 12th, 2022 Taken by: Phil McCabe A total fire ban has been issued for Haliburton County. Effective immediately, no fires of any kind are allowed, and any existing fires must be put out. The ban also extends to fireworks, and comes as the fire danger rating is raised to extreme. “We have extreme conditions in our area here, and it’s very easy for fires to spread across the surface at this time,” says Dan Chumbley, Dysart’s Deputy Fire Chief. “So that being the case, we felt it was necessary to ask the public to not have any fires whatsoever.” The decision was made by the area’s four fire chiefs based on a few factors, according to Chumbley. “It certainly has been hotter and dryer for this last week or two here, and higher winds have been picking up once in a while. We’ve had a few good storms this spring already, and we haven’t had as much rain as we often do this time of year,” says Chumbley. Contact your local fire department for more information.