There’s a gas that could be causing cancer in our homes. According to Public Health Inspector with our local health unit, Bud Ivey, radon can cause lung cancer when you’re exposed to high levels for a long period of time.

He says it’s a gas that can seep into your home through unfinished floors, windows and pipes, or cracks in your basement or foundation. You can’t see, smell or taste it, so he says it’s important to test your home for it. You can find a test kit at the hardware store or hire a service provider.

Health Canada says the acceptable amount of radon for indoor air is 200 becquerels per cubic metre. There are also things Health Canada lists you can do to reduce radon:

  • increase ventilation
  • seal cracks and openings in foundation walls and floors and around pipes and drains
  • renovate existing basement floors, especially earth floors.